Thermoplastic polyolefin or TPO is a flat roofing membrane popular among building owners. It’s an excellent option that offers class-leading performance at great prices. The seams are heat-welded to add to its strength. TPO has long been praised for its resistance to fungal growth, heat and UV. They are also flexible and reliable. Over 50% of all single-ply system s in use today are TPO.
Why Your TPO Roof Needs Regular Cleaning
Like any other roofing material, TPO requires maintenance to make sure it keeps its integrity for as long as possible. Cleaning is part of maintenance. Keep your TPO roof healthy by cleaning it, for these reasons:
- A TPO roof offers great solar reflectance to protect it from damage and to keep the building energy-efficient. Debris can collect on it and compromise its reflective properties.
- Algae and other plants can grow on a TPO roof if there is enough debris to support them. Some debris is food for birds and other pests, as well, so it’s important to remove it.
- Chemicals can compromise your roof, so it’s also important to ensure your TPO roof is free of them.
How to Clean a TPO Roof
GAF roofs are some of the best you’ll ever find on the market. EverGuard® TPO from GAF offers some of the best benefits found in such roofs. However, GAF still recommends cleaning your TPO to prevent damage. Here’s how to do it:
- Do not consider this a DIY job. To prevent damage, don’t walk all over your TPO. Get a professional to do the cleaning.
- A wet membrane is typically slippery, so anyone who cleans your TPO roof should have the proper gear and training to avoid slip and fall accidents.
- Do not let anyone walk on the membrane while there is still unrinsed cleaning solution.
- Test a small area of any exterior facade that comes into contact with the cleaning solution runoff to make sure it does not sustain any damage.
- Do not let the solution runoff land on plants or contaminate groundwater, so make accommodations for it early.
EverGuard TPO only requires mild and non-abrasive household detergent for cleaning. Use a long-handled brush with soft bristles. Make sure to rinse off the solution completely with a pressure washer set on low.